24/7 Program

The 24-7 Program is located at 108 E. Main St. Rapid City, SD. Our telephone number is 605-716-7366. Our hours are 5:30 AM- 8:30 AM and 5:30 PM – 8:30 PM, 365 days a year, holiday and weekends.

The 24-7 Sobriety Program began in Pennington County in February of 2005. This program is an alternative to jail and serves as an alternative sentencing option for the court.

 The program is used as a condition of bond and or sentence and as part of probation or parole, as well as a tool for the Department of Social Services, for child custody issues.

Individuals sentenced with a 2nd DUI offense or higher are generally ordered to participate in the program. The length of time spent testing with the program is determined by the Judges, Court Services Officers and Parole Agents on a case by case basis. In addition to the breathalyzers (PBTs) some participants can be required to submit to a urine analysis (UAs) test. Participants are charged $1 per PBT test and $10 per UA test. If an alternative to PBTs is deemed necessary by the courts, the SCRAM (Secure Continuous Remote Alcohol Monitor) bracelet may be assigned. This is a device strapped to the subject’s ankle and is worn 24 hours a day 7 days a week. The bracelet takes a sample every hour from the vapor that migrates through the skin as perspiration. SCRAM costs participants $6 per day.

In the event that a person were to test positive in the program or not show up for their required tests, a Pennington County Deputy Sheriff may respond to the testing location and take them into custody or a warrant may be issued for their arrest.

In 2011 the monthly average of active participants was 583, this includes face to face visits for breathalyzers, urine analysis, and alcohol monitoring devices (SCRAM bracelets).  Approximately 200 individuals are still monitored monthly while in treatment or incarcerated bringing the average of participants tracked monthly to 775.  Of these participants, approximately 60% are DUI offenders ranging from first offence to fifth and above.  The other 40% are in 24-7 for drug related charges, simple assault and a variety of other offenses.

In 2011, according to the tracking system on the South Dakota Attorney General's website, the Pennington County 24-7 Sobriety Program administered 241,905 breathalyzers and 9,704 urine analysis tests.

For additional information on the 24-7 program go to http://atg.sd.gov.


24-7 Tech at Computer    24/7 New Location


24-7 Tech Administering PBT


News & Info


The Pennington County Sheriff's Office has numerous opportunities for you to volunteer including:

  • Aglow-Storybook
  • Girls Circle
  • Safety First
  • Senior Volunteer
  • ...much more
Click here for a full list!

Contact Us

(605) 394-6113

(605) 394-6115

(605) 394-6115

(605) 394-6117

(605) 394-6114

Patrol Dispatch
(605) 394-2151

24-7 Program:
(605) 716-7366